Monday, June 15, 2015

Hurry Up and Wait!

Marathon Training Week 19 Recap

I have never run a marathon before, but I have been on taper. Every year while swimming I would endure two, maybe three tapers depending on the year. For club season, we tapered for both the winter and summer championship seasons, and during school, we'd taper for that championship run as well. I know what taper is all about, I've done it a hundred times...so why is this  taper SO DIFFERENT?!?


I am going a little crazy...I seriously cannot think of anything else. I don't remember being this obsessed about swimming taper. Maybe it's the unknown or maybe it's just because I haven't tapered for an event since 1990 and I've forgotten how bad it was...but I may not survive it! This race needs to get here NOW!

Monday is supposed to be yoga day (I think I type the phrase "supposed to be" every single week in this blog when referring to yoga day), but once again, I skipped it. It was super hot on Monday and Kayley wanted to go to the Y and jump off the diving board in the outdoor pool (this will mark our 8th trip to the outdoor pool since it opened two weeks ago!). Anyway, I decided that since it was so warm out I would get my swim on in the 50-meter pool outside. It's been forever since I did laps outside. I had a lane to myself, the sun felt awesome, and my stroke was strong and smooth. I hadn't really planned a set, so I just stuck with my old standby of 200 swim, 100 kick, 200 pull, three times for a lovely 1500 meters. When I was done, Kayley joined me in my lane for some flip turn work. She has unfortunately inherited my side-flip style of turn...here's hoping her coaches can make her more efficient then her old Mom!

Tuesday I was up at zero-dark thirty since we had a hectic day on the books. I decided to do an out and back from home to Turtle Lake school to keep things easy, and to ensure I was on a paved trail the whole time in case my tiredness caused my inner klutz to surface. The run out was uneventful. I had opted to run without music this morning, again figuring having all my faculties about me was a good idea, so I was enjoying the early morning sounds of birds and the breeze keeping me company. On the way back I saw a red-winged blackbird perched on a branch over the trail. I didn't pay him much notice as I passed, but a few yards away, I almost jumped out of my skin when he swooped down next to me and kind of hissed in my ear! What he heck bird?!? I was just running by minding my own business! I kept on going but a few seconds later, he came at me again from the front, swooping in and making the same pissed off noise at me. Um, okay bird, chill out! I actually started running a little faster thinking I was about to get caught in some sort of Hitchcock-ian horror scene, a flock of angry red-winged blackbirds swarming out from the trees, mad at me for disturbing their early morning peace with my loud clomping on the trail. Lucky for me, the lone sentinel seemed to be appeased that he scared me away, because the rest of the run remained bird-attack free!

Wednesday was another early one as I once again met Katie at the Y at 5:00 am for a 6-miler on the Rice Creek Trails. It was a chilly start, but the humidity creeped up quickly and I was glad I had opted for a tank top and shorts instead of the t-shirt and capri's I had originally laid out. We ran past the bridge that was our normal turn around point, and made it to Rice Creek Elementary where, thankfully, there was a porta-potty hidden in the trees. After a brief pit-stop we headed out and ran a nice negative split back to the Y. I stayed there to get ready for work since I had to be in early for a fun work seminar. The Explore Minnesota "Spring Training" was today at the new St. Paul Saints Stadium, CHS Field.

The view from "my office" on Wednesday!
I was excited to get to be a part of this workshop, that would bring together a bunch of the major players in the Minnesota sports world. I got to meet the CEO of the 2018 Super Bowl and talked to her about some opportunities to partner on events leading up to the big game. I also got to chat briefly with Virginia Brophy Achman, the Executive Director of Twin Cities in Motion, the organization that puts on the Twin Cities Marathon and my favorite race, the TC 10-mile. It was a very cool day, topped off by winning a drawing for a free entry into the Mankato Half Marathon in October! I actually could have chosen to do either the full or half, but I surmised that I didn't really have two full marathons in one year on my bucket list...at least not yet!

Thursday I played catch up at work since I was out all day Wednesday, so a lunch time run didn't happen. Thankfully, Kayley was up for pacing me on her bike for an easy three when I got home. This was actually a pretty fast run for me, holding an 8:54 pace. Kayley likes to talk trash, and she kept complaining how slow I was going. I had to remind her several times that she was on a bike and I was on taper. That didn't stop her ribbing, so I kept speeding up. She'll make a great coach some day!

I decided that Friday was rest day since I swam on Monday. I mean I could have done yoga on Friday, but I didn't want to break my anti-yoga blog posting streak :)

Saturday I had planned the North Metro MRTT group's first Run & Brunch (or bRUNch as it will now be known). Four of us planned to meet up for a run followed by breakfast at the Taste of Scandinavia in Shoreview. Kristy, a mom from the preschool we attend (who originally turned me on the the Maple Grove MRTT group) and I were going to meet at 7:00 so we could run 6 miles before meeting Kirsten and Karen at 8:00 for three more. Kristy had 11 on her training plan that day (she is doing the Red, White and Boom half on July 4th), so she ran from home to get things going. She and I left out of the Village Center parking lot and headed to the Sucker Lake trails, which she runs on frequently. I was excited to see some new scenery so close to my house. I've been sticking primarily to the trails around Turtle Lake and Rice Creek for my runs, but this area was equally as awesome. We did three miles out and turned around to head back to the parking lot. On the way back, it started to drizzle, and then turned into a real rain shower just as we hit the light to crossover and meet up with Kirsten and Karen. We got a quick drink and did some speedy introductions (Kirsten is also at the same preschool so she knows Kristy, but neither of them had met Karen before). We headed in the opposite direction for a change of pace and managed to stay somewhat dry under the canopy of the trees over the trail. I was excited to be sharing in Kirsten's first ever group run. I remember how much anxiety I had the first time I ran with someone else, so I was glad she could share her first one with women who I knew where going to make it an awesome experience! We chatted easily and the three miles flew by. We got back to the parking lot and ducked into the warm, dry restaurant, where thankfully there was an open table (you never know with this place, sometimes there is a line out the door!). It was nice to be able to sit and chat some more over coffee and omelets. I can't wait to do another bRUNch next month!

Well, I survived Week One of taper! I only run 9 miles over three days next week before the big race. I have a feeling these few days are going to be torture! I apologize now to my work friends, Facebook friends, and family if I am particularly insufferable, it will all soon be over!

No comments:

Post a Comment