Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Midweek Motivation: It takes a village

This week I almost quit running. See I do my long runs by myself and I am not always good company. Last week's long run was horrible. The kind of run that made me question what on earth made me decide that running a marathon was something I'd enjoy doing. I ended that day thinking, that's it. I'm done. I don't want to run anymore, I certainly can't run a marathon, I might as well give up. Thankfully I slept on it, and thankfully I woke up the next day remembering that I hadn't gotten to this place in my running journey by myself. In fact, there is NO WAY I would be where I am without the support and encouragement of others. You may be able to argue whether or not it takes a village to raise a child, but there is no denying, it definitely takes a village to raise a runner. No matter if you are the type of runner who does all of your runs solo or not, at some point you've been in a race, at some point you went into a running store for a fitting or gear, at some point you asked someone else their opinion on training or shoes or fuel or something! Running is a village, a village full of the most helpful and understanding people, who want to see you succeed, who want you to keep running!


The day after my disastrous long run I went to my village. I told my people how I was feeling, and they rallied. They validated me in a way I needed, not telling me I was stupid, or wrong, but giving me advice I didn't know I needed. Encouraging me in a way that made sense. That is what they are there for, to make you believe that you can do what you set your mind to, there just might be a better way to do it. I was returned to my senses thanks to these folks, and I can guarantee that without my village, I'd be making different plans for the weekend of June 20th, because the marathon would be off.

I hope if you are reading this you are someone that has a village around you. I hope you know that when you are in a place where there seems like no other alternative than to quit that you have someone to shine a light on a different option.  Because no matter if you think you can do this all by yourself, no one can go this road alone. It is well traveled and there are companions on every corner waiting for you. If you can't find them, look at your local running store, or an online running group, or ask me...I'd be happy to be your village.

I want to send special thanks to some people who really put things into perspective for me, to Jill for knowing me like the back of your hand and giving me just the right advice, to Carole for being an example of everything I want to accomplish, to Suzanne for just getting it, and to my Facebook "groups",  it is amazing that in a real world where we are strangers, you have become such an important part of my life. I don't know what I would do without you!



No comments:

Post a Comment