Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Midweek Motivation: Impossible

One of my favorite movies ever is Princess Bride. One of my favorite scenes is when Vizzini keeps saying "Inconceivable!" when the Man in Black keeps catching up with them and Inigo Montoya tells him "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Well, I'm starting to feel that way about the word "impossible".

Just last night Logan was telling us that going to the moon was impossible. So Kayley helpfully pointed out that while riding your bike to the moon would be impossible, people have flown to the moon, so it's not impossible. Yes, riding your bike to the moon is impossible, but you can still get there...finding something that is really, truly, impossible is quite a challenge.

Three years ago, I would have said that me running a mile without stopping was impossible. Two years ago I would have told you that me finishing a marathon was impossible. One year ago, I would have told you that me mentoring other runners was impossible. One month ago I would have told you that me going 30 days without eating sugar was impossible. Four "impossibilities", four pretty major undertakings, four things I always assumed only really driven people could accomplish, four things I never imagined I would do...all made possible, by me!

The roads to accomplish these seemingly impossible tasks were not easy, they had their hills and potholes and detours, but once I got to the end of those roads, I kind of looked back with a shrug of my shoulders and said "Hmmm, that wasn't so bad". Our "impossibles" seem scary because we don't know what's on the other side of them, we are going to be challenged on the way to making these things possible, but once we realize that we are capable of doing the "impossible" they don't seem that big anymore. Now, don't get me wrong, these are amazing things we should celebrate accomplishing, it's just that we are so much stronger than we think we are that once it's done, we might not seem so surprised that we did it.

So take some time today to think about your "impossible". That one thing that you really want, but are just sure you can't accomplish. Then, just put your head down and go for it...because even though you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means!

Happy Wednesday Runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment