Monday, February 2, 2015

Run Like a Girl

If I were a fan of grotesque arm injuries, commercials about dead kids, dancing beach balls, and bad play calling, I guess I would be celebrating a successful Super Bowl this morning. Instead, I am left trying to find the bright spots from the 4-hour let-down I experienced yesterday. Here's what I have come up with so far:
  1. John Legand and Idina Menzel. They should open every Super Bowl from now until the end of time. My kids were only disappointed that Idina wasn't dressed as Queen Elsa.
  2. Skittles and Mini Corn Dogs. If it were healthy, this would be my daily diet. I have no problem admitting to the fact that I ate like there was no tomorrow last night.
  3. Lenny Kravitz. He and his guitar > Katy Perry on top of a mechanical lion. I was hoping since it was announced that he would be "performing with Katy Perry at halftime" that he would have been on stage longer than the dancing sharks, but I'm calling his 30-second appearance a win.
  4. Liam Neesen getting a scone. It's a sad commentary on the quality of the Super Bowl commercials that Liam Neeson getting called "Lie-um" at a coffee shop is one of the most entertaining ones.
  5. But the best part of the night by far was: #LikeAGirl
I had seen the #LikeAGirl video a few months ago when "A Mighty Girl" shared it on their website (you should "like" them on Facebook if you haven't already). So when I saw it air during the Super Bowl, one of the biggest, testosterone-fueled events on the planet, I was giddy! I was so glad my kids got to see this right after truck ads and beer commercials (and after they had been traumatized by the Nationwide dead-kid spot). As a Mom, and a girl, I think this is one of the most important messages we can send to our kids. Not only is it an empowering message for our daughters to hear, it is an early seed to plant with our sons about equality. It's also a good reminder to me that I need to make sure I am not modeling stereotypical or negative connotations of gender stereotypes, like saying things like "Oh, that's Dad's job", or using "Fireman" or "Police Man" instead of "Fire Fighter" or "Police Officer". To raise a strong daughter and a respectful son is really my biggest goal as a parent. If I teach my kids they can be anything and do anything they put their minds to, and to achieve those things without bringing anyone else down in the process, then I will celebrate success. In the Super Bowl of parenting, I will have given the ball to Marshawn Lynch on first and goal from the one yard line, instead of calling a pass and watching Russel Wilson throw an interception. I will have created MVP world-citizens, and this will be my greatest victory.

And just because I think she is so awesome, here are some ways my daughter runs #LikeAGirl!






No comments:

Post a Comment