Monday, January 26, 2015

What would I do without my BRF!?!

I didn't start running to become a social butterfly. I'm already pretty social (even "too social" if you ask my husband), running for me was going to be about the exercise, not about the community. I guess I felt this way since the thought of running with other people terrified me! I figured there was no way I was ever going to run with anyone other than my iPod for companionship. I mean, I was slow, I couldn't run very far, I certainly couldn't hold a conversation with someone while I was running. Nope, I figured I was destined to be solo on my runs, and I was okay with that. That is until one day last spring when my friend Brandi asked me to go on a run with her. I'm pretty sure I blew her off the first couple times she asked. I mean, Brandi has run A MARATHON before (actually, multiple marathons, but she's not one to boast). In my mind, I felt there was no way I could possibly keep up with her, I'd just end up embarrassing myself and not only would she not want to run with me, she'd probably stop being my friend because I subjected her to the torture of having to run with someone who didn't know what she was doing.

Eventually though, I gave in. Brandi and I could sit over coffee and talk about anything and make the time fly...maybe running with her would be the same, we'd make easy conversation and the miles would fly by. So I nervously laced up and met her outside our office building and tentatively started to run. I remember the route pretty well, it was the first time I had run more than a quick out and back from my office. But Brandi knows campus like the back of her hand and had all kinds of magical routes up her sleeve. She also has a Garmin, and told me she wanted to run about a 10 minute/mile pace (which, coincidentally was my pace :) That first day we went four miles over the river and around campus. After the first mile my apprehension faded and I settled in for what would become the first of many "therapy" sessions with her. All my worrying about pace and distance and running out of breath flew out the window...this was amazing! Sharing a run with a good friend, passing the miles talking about our kids, complaining about our husbands, grousing about work, stealing each others ideas for dinners that week, it was everything my running journey had been missing without me even realizing it. We've kept each other company during the oppressive heat of the summer, the glorious fall weather, and the bitter cold of a Minnesota winter...because when your BRF* wants to head out, you don't make excuses not to go.

However, sometimes your BRF will have a really crappy month, like January was for Brandi. She had so much going on at work and home that there were not many days she was able to get away. So I went back to running alone with my iPod. And although Taylor Swift is a better singer than Brandi, she's not much fun to talk to on a run. So today when Brandi texted to say she could get way, I said "tell me where and when, and I'm there!" We did an easy 3-miler, because she said she couldn't handle more, even though I know she could have. But see, that's the thing about a BRF. Some days you will both be firing on all cylinders and some days one of you will need to pull back. It doesn't matter. Finding a running buddy isn't about finding someone who can run your same speed or distance, it's about finding someone who "gets" why you run and can share that on the same level. I hope no matter how busy our lives get, we will always be able to find time for an "easy 3-miler" because as much as running has bettered my physical health, having a BRF like Brandi has done wonders for my mental health! And if you have been hesitating to take up an offer from someone to go for a run because you are afraid you are too slow or not up to their level...stop it! They are asking you to go for a run because they know a secret that you won't find out until you try...running with a buddy is awesome, no matter what your pace. So stop making excuses and just do it!

*BRF=Best Running Friend. Thanks to Another Mother Runner for providing the perfect acronym and for helping me to realize that we all deserve a sole-mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment