Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Midweek Motivation: We're all Runners!

I came across this on my Facebook news feed this morning:


It was a timely coincidence since this morning, I was complaining to my husband about the blister I have developed underneath one of my toenails, and he replied "well, suck it up, you're a runner". And for a split second I thought "I'm not a REAL runner". I mean my husband ran Cross Country in high school, he's done a marathon, certainly I'm not a runner like he is a runner. But just as quickly as that thought came into my head, I pushed it back out. Because I am a runner, a REAL runner, and I have the blisters, chafing, and sore hamstrings to prove it. I put just as much effort into my running as someone who does a 6-minute mile, or someone who considers 15 miles an "easy run". I may not run as fast or as far, but I run, that is all that matters.

I've had the good fortune to be inspired by a lot of other real runners this week. Like Christina, a woman in an Internet running group I belong to, whom I've never met before, but who also ran a 10-mile race this weekend. Several weeks ago Christina posted about her doubts that she would be ready to run a 10-mile race after competing in some shorter distances. After some virtual encouragement from our group, she ran her race on Sunday and killed it, holding under a 9:30/mile pace! Then there is Kara, the 6-year old daughter of a friend who ran the SECOND 5K of her short life on Saturday. Kara has an amazing support network in her parents and extended family who did the run with her, but she finished in 37:06, holding under 12-minute miles, Kara may only be 6, but she is a real runner for sure! Finally, I was lucky enough to run with a fun group of  women from my local Moms Run this Town chapter on Monday. There was Stefanie, just returning to running after having a baby, Belinda who is coming back from injury, Karen who smoked all of us while telling stories about her grand kids, Alisa who started the night saying "I hate running" but smiled the whole three miles, and Christa, who was quiet the whole run, but came alive after we were done, talking about the next meet up. While we may all have different running goals and paces, not one of us ever said "I'm not a REAL runner".

So don't ever doubt your status. If you put on your shoes one foot at time and get out on that road or trail, it doesn't matter your pace, it doesn't matter your distance, it doesn't matter why you are doing it, you are a runner, don't let anyone tell you different!

No comments:

Post a Comment