Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Midweek Motivation!


How did Wednesday creep up on me already?!? I had a great run with my running group earlier this week and we talked a lot about excuses. Most of us in the group are Moms, and many of us are working Moms and I'm telling you, if there was ever a group of people who were entitled to make excuses for not doing things, it's us! The fact that it can sometimes take us an hour to find 5 minutes to go to the bathroom uninterrupted is evidence enough. However, as moms, we also have a keenly refined "Excuse BS" detector. We know almost immediately when an excuse our children (or husband) gives us for why they can't do something is full of baloney. "The dog ate my homework" might be the classic example, but we also know all about "My friends don't have to do the dishes" or "I thought [insert sibling’s name] was going to do it", and the ever popular "I don't know how to replace the toilet paper roll". But how good are you at knowing when your OWN excuse for not doing something is full of BS? "I don't have time" is a fall back many of us use, but if you really stop to think about it...you DO have time, you just have to make running and exercise a priority for that time.
I don't love getting up at 5am to go running...but you know what....some days, that's when I can make time to do it. Some Saturdays, I struggle to justify taking time away from family to go for a run, but I also know that if I don't, I'm likely to spend my time with them regretting that I didn't go out and get it done, which is doing them a disservice anyway. But, there are the days were you really just don't have time....and that's okay. Excuses are acceptable if you can really look at them and know they are true. I mean, if I witnessed the dog eating my kids' homework, I wouldn't let them beat themselves up about it, things happen. Just don't buy into the easy ones, don't believe everything you say because often "I don't have time" really means "I don't want to make the time" and that excuse will never hold water!
Happy Wednesday Runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment