Sunday, January 11, 2015

I can't handle rest day!

Run, run, run, run, run.....that is all my brain is thinking about right now. For the last two weeks we have been in a deep freeze. I mean it, the temps have not been above zero and the windchill has been DOUBLE DIGITS below zero. I consider myself a hearty Minnesotan, but even I have my limits. I haven't run outside for 11 days! So today, on my rest day, what does it decide to do...the weather gods decide that we should have our first day in two weeks with double digits ABOVE zero...on my rest day!

Now, rest day is hard enough for me. I don't rest easy. I like to have something to do, all the time. And while my mind understands why I need rest, it also keeps telling me, "your rivals aren't resting, they are working hard, they are getting faster and stronger."* So I stew, I sit around and think, "just a little workout won't hurt me". But I talk myself out of it...I'll run tomorrow...my body will thank me...blah, blah, blah...run, run, run. This back and forth in my head is kind of exhausting...which sucks, because, you know, rest day!

*Um, I'm a 43 year old woman who likes to race for "fun", so worrying about my "rivals" is kind of ridiculous. However, I also love competition...so while I am not a well-oiled competitive machine, I still think like one.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, welcome to the run-blogging world! I have a hard time with rest day too. Happy running!

    ReplyDelete