Friday, March 13, 2015

Friday Fun Run: Cupcakes

I have a lot of fun perks to my job, but there is one that I have actually kind of come to dread over the past year...the abundance of free food that is available at swim meets. During major events we are generally locked in the pool for 12-16 hours a day. With little time to head out to grab food, most meet hosts provide a hospitality room for coaches and staff. As you might imagine, feeding 100-plus people for 16 hours a day over three days is quite an undertaking...meaning there is a lot of easy "grab and go" stuff, like bags of chips, trail mix, bagels, and sweets...lots and lots of sweets. I can usually say "no" to prepackaged cookies and muffins, or industrial-bakery items like mini cinnamon rolls or brownie bites. However, there are two things that are going to get me every time...I just have no will power against them...Rice Krispy treats and mini-Bundt cakes. Yes, I said mini-Bundt cakes. If you have not yet had the opportunity to experience the mini-Bundt cake, I'm sorry. Or, maybe I should say "good for you", because they are evil! Pure evil wrapped in shiny paper and drizzled with sweet frosting. One of the parents on a local swim team owns a bakery called Nothing Bundt Cake and they donate limitless mini-Bundt cakes to almost every meet. I think most folks in the Minnesota swimming community have become addicted to them. It's like everyone in the pool knows the sound of the bundt cake box opening and makes a collective rush to get into the hospitality room to get one before they are gone...evil I tell you!

They may look sweet and innocent, but one bite and you will be addicted!
Now, many of you will say, "Linda, you run, so who cares about eating a little cupcake". Here's the problem with that, I can't just stop at one....I want to try them all, Red Velvet, Vanilla, Lemon, Chocolate, Mocha, Strawberry Cream....oh man, I can't even think about it...they are SO.STINKING.GOOD. But I do run, so I was happy to find this handy chart to help ease a little bit of my Bundt-fueled guilt:


Now, today is swim day, so I will have to try to pace myself when it comes to mini-cake consumption. But tomorrow is long run day and I have 13-miles on tap...so rest assured, I will not stop until I have crammed 11 of those little pieces of Heaven in my mouth. Unfortunately, Sunday is rest day, no running or working out of any kind. I am so screwed!

No comments:

Post a Comment