Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Mid-Week Motivation: Spring

Need some help getting over the hump? Here's your Mid-Week Motivation!



I have had many doubts over the past five weeks of marathon training. Most of them start with "why on EARTH did I decide to train for a marathon in the winter?!?" Winter running in Minnesota is hard. You are either bundled up waddling through your run trying to avoid black ice and snow piles on your route, or you are mindlessly slogging out your miles on the treadmill wondering who in their right mind finds this kind of thing entertaining? But, somehow I have found the will to do one or the other over the past month and yesterday, it paid off big time. Yesterday I had a 6 mile run on the plan, and yesterday it was 60 FREAKING DEGREES outside. I felt incredible, I felt like I had been freed from my shackles, I felt like I could have run forever! This was my reward for forcing myself to run in the frigid, ice speckled streets of Minneapolis for the last month, for not smashing the treadmill to pieces with a kettlebell like I wanted to so many times. This was redemption for all those frozen eyelashes and chafed cheeks, the sun on my bare arms was HEAVEN!

So, if you haven't been outside for a run yet, what are you waiting for?!? This is Minnesota afterall, sub-zeros are always just a low-pressure weather system away. Don't forget your SPF!

No comments:

Post a Comment