Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Midweek Motivation: 4%

Today started out like a dream! I got up early, walked the dog while watching the beautiful sunrise (seriously, did you see it, it was amazing!), my kids were both in good moods (this rarely happens simultaneously, and NEVER happens in the morning), and I arrived at work ready for what I thought would be a routine day. But, then things went to crap, as they are prone to do when I am least expecting it. Needless to say I spent the morning gathering mindless data for someone who tried to make it out to be my fault that she didn't have this data in the first place, data that for the past three years I have never supplied to her before but that I somehow was just supposed to know I had to get it to her right now (note: I might be procrastinating getting her the data right now by typing this...shh, don't tell anyone).

Anyway....on to the motivating part of this story... a couple women from my running group had graciously agreed to come to campus to run with me today, so when they arrived, I quickly got ready to head out. When I told them about my curve ball this morning Jenn asked "Do you need to bail?" And honestly, I probably should have...but I couldn't think of a better way to blow off some of the steam that was building up than by going for a run with friends. I remembered seeing this picture a couple weeks ago, and decided..."No, I'm not bailing, going out for this run will take up 4% of my day and I'm not going to let the carelessness of someone else take that small little piece of time for myself away!"



I know we all get busy, and sometimes instead of the "carelessness of someone else" the reason we bail is actually our children, or work, or other family commitments that we can't get away from. But I'd encourage you to really take a look at your day. I'm guessing if we all look hard enough, we can find 4%, or maybe just 2% of our day to give back to ourselves. Maybe that 4% doesn't mean gearing up and going to the gym or out for a run...maybe it's yoga on the living room floor while the kiddos are watching a cartoon, or it's running stairs to and from the basement while the baby is sleeping. If 96% of your day revolves around something other than your health and well-being, you owe it to yourself to find that time and make the most of it!

Happy Wednesday Runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment