Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Midweek Motivation: Perfection

I've been called a perfectionist more than I care to think about. I mean, I am FAR from perfect in most (okay all) aspects of my life, but I do have an obsessive need to live up to standards of perfection...and that can get really tiring for those around me. I don't like to advertise my imperfections, I don't like it to seem that I don't have full control of everything around me. But running has taught me that there is no "perfect" runner. We all have ways of running that work for us. If you asked 100 runners what the "perfect" running shoe is, or what "perfect" running weather is like, or what the "perfect" nutrition system is, you'd get 100 different answers. Success in running is just getting out and doing it, despite your busy schedule, despite the fact that others are running longer or faster that you, despite your excuses.

Running can be messy and ugly one day, then glorious and uplifting the next, but it rarely, if ever, is perfect. I've had to learn over the past two years that I can be imperfect and still set a good example. I don't have to "win" all the time to be successful. Having the latest gear or cutest tights doesn't make anything easier. I don't have to make a certain time or distance goal to be perfect. I have become so much better at motivating myself in all areas of my life because I have allowed myself to be imperfect with running, and that doesn't mean I have failed. It means that I have gained experience that I can pass on to my future self (and hopefully others) that will inspire moving forward, forgetting about perfection, and just doing the best I can.

Happy Wednesday Runners!


No comments:

Post a Comment